Monday, February 15, 2016

Poetry Prompt: I Love You

Image by Marina Shemesh


I am writing this post on Valentine's Day and the obvious prompt for the week would be to ask you to write a love poem. That's exactly what I'm going to do, but I want this to be no ordinary love poem. Instead of delving into romantic love or eroticism, I want us to all take a few minutes to take a good long look ... IN THE MIRROR.

I'll be honest with you. This is going to be really uncomfortable for some of us (me, included)! Look in the mirror and silently, without criticism or judgement, look at yourself as you would gaze upon your best friend or even your lover. Force yourself to see past the flaws that we all see in ourselves and look deep into your own eyes. After a few minutes have passed in honoring silence, say the words out loud to your own reflection, "I love you." Repeat them, if necessary. Speak from the depth of your wonderful, passionate heart and speak with conviction. "I LOVE YOU."

Now, was that so bad? If possible, take the next few minutes to write a love letter to yourself right there in front of the mirror where you can bear witness to your creative self in action. 

Use this experience as a springboard to write a love poem for yourself. You deserve it. 

Poetry Prompt: Make a list of everything wonderful about you. Ignore the voice of the inner critic that is sure to try to resist this activity! Use this list as a starting point to write a love poem for yourself. 

Word Prompts:
Self-love
I love ME

Suggested Poetry form: Sonnet

~ Amy Phelps McGrath



No comments:

Post a Comment